Send your opinions, pictures or articles to post: sanpasecblog@hotmail.com

School group on Facebook: http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=30642011272&ref=ts

You can also leave your comments in the different posts!

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Living university life


Living on a university campus is an exciting experience for every college student. The variety of people, interest and activities available make campus life very rich, fun and educating. University campuses often offer a wide variety of facilities and services for the students and teachers living and working there. I could experience this amazing new world in the summer at Florida International University (F.I.U.) in Miami, and I surprisingly discovered many benefits and people that made my experience incredible.In the first place, I was extremely impressed by this new world with a wide variety of people living, studying and working on campus. People of different ages, gender, countries, religions, cultures and backgrounds were all mixed up in this intellectual environment. I was able to share with people from all around the globe in my English classes; I had classmates from Lebanon, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, China, Korea, Russia, Kuwait, France and many other different countries. As I was in communications classes with this people with different nationalities, I learned much about other cultures and ways of living that are totally different from mine. What probably helped me most in understanding others’ points of view, was that i observed that some of the people around me where happy with their own conception of the world, and the fact of being different to others made them even happier, since they were able to look at those who surrounded them with acceptance and respect. Living around so many different people was an enticing experience, as I could learn to be open minded to many different opinions and customs. The intercommunication with this people with such a different perception of the world helped me define myself and my identity.
Living on campus has another great benefit: being in contact with people with a lot of intellectual potential. Universities are often the spot where the most privileged minds can be found. For example, my grammar teacher was multilingual; he could speak six languages perfectly: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German and Portuguese. He was even able to understand a bit of Russian and Japanese. At FIU I looked up information about the schools in the university and the degrees and graduate masters they offered to students, and I read about important people that had studied there and been very successful after graduating. This opened my appetite for learning and extending my horizons.
The huge variety of people on a campus with specific interests, results in the existence of many varied activities, clubs and groups. Sororities are a popular form of organization within universities. There people join to achieve a certain goal and help each member on their way to it. Many clubs can be found on campus: literary group, chess club, math club, among others. Other popular activities available on campus include sports championships (soccer, football, basketball etc.); tango and salsa lessons, religious groups could also be found, where students join to share ideas about religion. There were so many activities on campus and so little time I could only attend to some of them, like the FIU soccer championship, where me and my girlfriends went to cheer up for our classmates’ team.
My recent experience on campus was as fun and enriching as it could possibly be. Not only did I define my identity and personality, but I could also learn to be respectful and open-minded to every opinion. The knowledge and experience I got with so many different people is something invaluable that I am very grateful I could get. The intellectual environment I experienced increased my ambition and desire to always make the most out of every situation. University campus life was the most exciting experience I have ever lived and something I would definitely want to do in the near future.

No comments:

ir arriba